Friday, October 23, 2009

IF I WORKED AS HARD EVERYDAY . . .

as I've worked yesterday and today, my house would be clean and tidy, there would be no flab on my abs, I would go to bed at a reasonable time, and my cholesterol would be in the normal range again. Guess there's a lesson to learn here. Sorry, I'm talking to myself.

I told you about the big furniture purchase a couple of weeks ago for the guest room. I have really felt apologetic about the bed, and the whole room, for so long. Right after I got the new stuff to the carport we had torrential rains, and two days later I called Travis (remember the airport taxi service) and asked if he could help me move it into the house. I was afraid it was going to be severely warped by all the dampness and possibly just plain get soaked. So on Monday he and Jane came over and helped me move it into the dining area of the house. Thank goodness, they did. We wound up having twice the average rainfall for a month in our area in about a week. No way I could have kept it protected.

Anyway, yesterday I finally decided to bite the bullet and get as much as possible out of the guest room and get ready for the new/old stuff. I took down the bed, removed the headboard & footboard, put the mattress & spring against the wall. Then I emptied the drawers of the chest o'drawers and removed it. Then I moved the sewing machine over about six feet. Here are the before pictures. Remember you can click on them to see them enlarged. I'm trying to save space. Oh yeah, I didn't start taking pictures until I had started stripping down, so things are somewhat disheveled. (That means sometimes it looked better/worse than this. This is where I store Xmas presents throughout the year, so it varies.)















































Jazz came over a little after eight this morning, after taking Oyster to school, to help me move furniture from dining area to bedroom. She even took away the old chest of drawers to paint and add to Oyster's room (God & Jazz only know where. ) That took us just little over an hour. And she went on to other ventures.

When Goo moved away I wondered how I would ever get my projects finished as most require at least two people to accomplish at various points. But Chill graciously married an enterprising and imaginative woman who helps me with my outrageous plans. (I don't think he told her about me in their courting days.) I am too lucky.

Here's the way it looks now. It's not all done, but this gives you an idea of where it might go.







































I spent the rest of the day washing the new/old furniture with Murphy's Oil;running an errand; doing two loads of laundry; changing the sheets on my bed and making up the new bed; sweeping the kitchen;pledging to public radio; watering the orchids; turning on heat for the orchids tonight; and a few more things that don't come to mind right now. It's been a full day. Here are the last shots of the new furniture. Be sure to let me know what you think. And I promise you, Goo, it is a firm mattress.


























And remember there's now room to walk on both sides of the bed. Isn't that great?

BTW, is anybody else having as much trouble as I am getting things to work on this blog place? Graphics, particularly, are stacking, and I wind up spending 2/3 more time trying to get the edits to work, i.e. get things to show up in the right space.

3 comments:

jaz said...

enterprising and imaginative is much more flattering than death on a stick. Glad to see I've moved up in the world.

And the chest is in the closet, holding out-of-season clothes.

Goo said...

Looks great!

plug said...

Very nice! You have been working hard!!