Thursday, May 13, 2010

GARDENING NEWS!

That may not be exciting to you, but it is to Jaz and me. So bear with me. (BTW I'm putting in small pictures, but you can click on each one to enlarge it. O.K.?)

On April 5, I planted squash seeds in the "old garden", last year's effort. The instructions said to plant five seeds in each mound which should be 12" tall and 2' across. I don't think this is what Ferry-Morse had in mind, but . . . .






Do you have any idea how much dirt it takes to build up 12" height? Pretty soon I was digging out around the bottom to make it taller. Also I think they meant a 2' diameter at the top, but their little picture on the package didn't show that, and their directions didn't say that. My squash mounds look like little premature baby graves. They also tend to disintegrate when one tries to water them. Oh, well.

Remember the big garden planter? Well, here's how it looked yesterday.





Are you as impressed as we are?

And look what Better Boy is doing.




Actually the other two tomato plants are showing fruit coming along as well as the bell peppers and cucumber. We've been eating the lettuce for a few weeks now, and it is really good. So are the spinach and the onions. The radishes have been a disappointment, but we're learning.

For a change of pace---take a look at Peggy Foo. Well, that's one of the names in this vanda's cross, so that's what I call it. Yea, I'll have something to take to the orchid society meeting this Sunday.





Oh, and take a look at those baby graves now.



They're about to bloom, I think; then we'll start to see squash developing. We will have the white scalloped edge kind of squash. I can't wait. Yumola!

7 comments:

jaz said...

Baby graves? I may not be able to eat the squash after that description.

Goo said...

premature baby graves: I imagine the mandrake plants from Harry Potter.

jaz said...

Oyster and I are reading the Harry Potter series together. She just finished the chapter about the whomping willow. As much as we have lopped from the willow in Lit's yard, I am happy it is not a close relative.

jaz said...

I discovered a pea-sized, a marble-sized, and a shooter marble-sized tomato on the hanging pot in front of the house. They are definitely behind the tomatoes on the vines at Lit's house, but progress is visible!!

And Oyster's watermelon is planted and surrounded by bricks. Hopefully it will produce at least on melon for her. Don't know that it will get as much sunlight as is ideal, but we will at least work to make sure it gets enough water. Oyster is dedicated to watering every morning. I am dedicated to reminding her to water every morning.

LIT said...

Good wishes on the watermelon plant. BUT don't water Friday morning; we had plenty of water today---the natural way.

Congratulations on your upside down tomato plant. I am very eager to see if that method really works. The Topsy Turvy may turn out to be this century's hoola-hoop or frisbee. Why hasn't someone in our family invented something like one of those?

jaz said...

The secret isn't to be the guy with the great idea, but to be the first to the patent office with it!

Boo said...

Wonderful story of your Dog. Of course, it made me think of Annie. Dogs are so marvelous (cats too).

Your vegetables look marvelous, and I am jealous. Boo