Friday, October 7, 2011

NANCY DREW & THE REAL ESTATE ADVENTURE

Let's begin with this news. The appraisal on my house was scheduled this past Tuesday between 12 noon and 1:00 p.m. My bone density test was scheduled at 2:00 p.m., and the mammogram at 3:00 p.m. What a fun day!

A friend had given me the name of a house appraiser and said "hope you don't get him" but we have no control over who does the appraisal. Sure enough, he was the one assigned to my house. Even my realtor said she hoped for a less stringent appraiser because he was tough and didn't miss anything. So, obviously, I had to channel my southern charm but not make it too obvious. Three and a half days later I am again breathing because his report came in this afternoon. He appraised it at the listed price which is what the buyer offered. YEAAAA!

THE PLOT THICKENS:

I submitted an offer on a house Thursday that all three of us (son, daughter-in-law, and I) all really liked and felt it would meet our needs with some alterations. We were supposed to receive a response by 2:30 this afternoon. At 1:30 my realtor called to say they would need a few more hours and was that agreeable. Obviously, since this was the house we wanted I agreed to wait.

People One Should Be Honest With:

A. One's doctor
B. One's attorney
C. One's realtor
D. One's priest, rabbi, spiritual leader (relative, of course, to one's position on the guilt scale)
E. Everyone else at their own risk

Daughter-in-law and I became a little wary when we noticed on the disclosure that the seller indicated no pets had been on the premises, but Fido's food & water dishes were clearly in the house. We were not offset by that because we both have pets; it was the fact that he clearly hadn't paid attention to the questions.

One man was listed as the seller. Thankfully, my realtor started checking records. The man is divorced from his wife, and no where does his name appear on the previous purchase of the house, and no where does her name appear on the current sale of the home. Furthermore, there is no mention of the house in their divorce. He "says" he has power of attorney to sell the house, but I don't know at this point if he can prove it.

OH YEAH, there are liens against the house because he is behind on child support (we don't know if this is the most recent marriage, or a previous one) nor why liens instead of garnishment of wages. Anyway we seem to have opened a gallon sized can of worms. Well, somebody had to---right?

I think this will turn out alright if we have patience and can find out who can really sell this house and agree to the terms. But right now it's all up for grabs.

Here's the web site to see the house with which we're smitten. You'll probably have to copy and paste it into your browser as BlogSpot doesn't allow me to do links. Meantime we're packing like crazy, and the estate sale at my house is scheduled for Oct. 21-22.

http://www.coldwellbankerdowling.com/default.cfm/page/forsale/cat/display/mlsid/mls_shreveport/propertytype/residential/ml_number/N131467/referer/Similar%20Properties.htm

And a Happy Columbus Day to you too!


1 comment:

Tazzonater said...

I'm glad you were able to sell the house!