Tuesday, September 9, 2008

JANUARY --- 2008

In this process of catching everyone up on life in my lazy community there were only two events of note (my life). The first was my installation as president of our local orchid society along with the other officers. I have pictures of that event, but that would expose people whose permission I do not have to publicize. So, I won't. It wasn't a big deal anyway. It didn't make the papers, and that's probably a good thing. That was on the 12th of Jan.

10 days later:

The other event was at my church, and I'm not pushing religion, churches, on anybody, but sometimes they have really good things to offer. This event was Trinity Institute which occurs each year in New York at Trinity Church, Wall Street in January. Yeah, right there in the money market. It is really fine. I almost said last year, but it was really this year, in Jan. that the topic was
Religion & Violence
Untangling the roots of conflict
An Inferfaith Dialogue



Several people were interested in our being a partner, which means getting a live web cast presentation of the event, and having discussion groups in live time just as they do in NY, but no one else was willing to push for it---just willing to push me to do it. Well, I pushed, and we were signed up at the last moment in Dec. To make a long story which you don't want to hear short, I was left to do the publicity, get people signed up to come, provide food, do local logistics like space, covering windows for best reception, and do whatever I could to make the church's investment worthwhile within one month.


(How do you like my home made sign?)

The most tedious part was finding food that would meet the dietary requirements of orthodox Jews and Muslims because that is not what I'm accustomed to checking out. However, once you get the hang of it, it's not that big a problem. It's a good learning experience.

Because of the limited time to publicize, and the lack of cooperation of the local newspaper to print the article submitted, I wound up going to the two local mosques to deliver invitations to the event. On both occasions I had conversations with local Muslims, in one case the Iman, and both occasions were very pleasant. We actually had two Muslims on one of the two days, and one on the second day. As these were two full days of presentations and discussions during the work week, there were others who couldn't attend both days. But it was a successful time, and this year we're signed up in time to have a COMMITTEE to handle the various aspects. Thank you, God. Whoever thought I would be thankful for a committee?

Well, anyway, the speakers were outstanding, particularly James Carroll and James Cone, and they really shook people up a bit. Tarique Ramadan was particularly appealing in his soothing presentation of Islamic beliefs, and he's very good looking which did not go unnoticed. Susannah Heschel also upset people's thinking, but I think that was a locally cultural thing. Who knows? If you'd like to hear any of these speakers, e-mail me, and I'll get you the reference. You won't regret the time spent.

2 comments:

heather said...

sounds typical. my mom's church is real good at comming up with ideas for outreach programs but no one ever wants to spend the time to get it done.
i have faith.
just not in 'organised' religion. :)

jaz said...

Lit, welcome back to the blogosphere. Chill pointed out to me today that you had new entries. This is the first time I realized there was not a committee to handle all last year. Glad to hear there will be this time around!