Friday, April 17, 2009

MARY, MARY, QUITE CONTRARY, HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW?




As you can see Jaz and I have now mulched the garden with pine needles, and we have planted some things in the cinder blocks---such as parsley, chives, basil, pineapple mint, a couple of jalapeno peppers, oregano, and those places that look like dirt have Swiss Chard seeds which are beginning to sprout, but just barely. When we bend down and separate leaves we can see zucchini, cucumbers, and yellow crook neck squash beginning to form. YEA!

But check this out.



This is the tomatillo plant, and if you look closely you'll see a little green globe which is the first tomatillo. How cool is that? (What do tomatillos taste like?)

Three out of four of the okra plants seem to be thriving.


Here they are in their own private rooms. This came as a four-pack, so I planted all of them. Neither Jaz nor I have a clue how many okra one plant produces, but since she and I are the only ones who like okra, it should be enough. Furthermore, we can always freeze them and send them to you for Christmas. There's something to look forward to. . . Christmas gumbo. (Actually, gumbo is the African name of this veggie where it originated.)

The beans were finally visible today as they began to sprout in their rooms too. See if you can spot them.



Does this remind you of Where's Waldo? But they are not Waldo's; they are Kentucky Wonders.

Well, the rains arrived this afternoon and are supposed to continue through tomorrow resulting in 1-5 inches of rain. That's why I ran out today before it started---actually, the thunder was already here---to record how wonderful the garden is so far. Let you know in a couple of days what effect the rain has. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

6 comments:

jaz said...

Great pics--and I hope the rain today was exactly what that garden needed. I can't wait to taste my first tomato of the season--or my second, third, fourth, etc.

LIT said...

When I came home from orchid judging today, and the rain had stopped, I let the dogs out for a couple of hours of fresh air and running. When I looked out later one of the bean pots had been knocked over. I have replaced the beans and their roots and braced the pot, but I don't know . . . . That really upset me. BUT, we'll see.

Goo said...

What do you plan to do with the tomotilloes, if you don't know what they taste like?

jaz said...

I am hoping for a little pico de gallo and/or salsa, using a large percentage of items from this garden. I'm not certain if Lit had chosen the tomatilla before or after we talked about what to plant, but I certainly am happy to picked one up. It was the first plant to assure us it really means to take full advantage of the opportunity to produce!

jaz said...

I meant to type I am happy she picked one up. I really don't know what my fingers were thinking when my brain gave that command.

LIT said...

The tag said "used in Mexican food," and that was enough for me. However, since writing that I've pulled the tag up and re-read it and it also says "lemony tomato taste." I can deal with that.

The beans have really taken off, and I expect that they will soon be climbing.