Tuesday, March 31, 2009

WATCH OUT , OBAMAS!

Jaz and I are on your track. It's the patriotic, self-sufficient, fight the economic downturn thing to do. Honestly, in our case, we just like to say, "I grew it myself," and probably have a mutual masochistic twist in our psyches. (She took Aleve, and I took aspirin last night; both of us slept well.) But, truly, fresh from the garden veggies taste better than "store boughten."

Anyway. . . yesterday we hacked out the earth and moved in our bordering cinder blocks. Today we hauled in topsoil, mixed in planting mix, planted our plants. Voila, we have our raised bed garden. It is obvious we didn't do sufficient planning, but we'll learn from this experience, and hopefully, enjoy the veggies of our labor. We also know we've not planted enough to take us through the summer without visiting the grocery store, but we're on our way. And there's room for more if we want to add something else. Plus there is space in the cinder blocks for us to add herbs which I'm thinking we will do.

Here's what we have started: 4 tomato plants (all different varieties); a cucumber plant (trellis); a yellow crook neck squash, a zucchini plant, a tomatillo plant, one each red, yellow, green bell pepper. Here's how it looks:





As you can see Mack is not much interested in watching veggies grow. Oyster was equally impressed. Jaz and I stood grinning at our handiwork for at least ten minutes cumulative and counting the days to harvest. (Click on photos to enlarge.)

GARDENING TIP: If over the age of 55 find someone at least 15-20 yrs. younger to help with the garden especially the preparation and planting. It worked for me.

9 comments:

jaz said...

Hey, if I get to eat fresh from the garden tomatoes, it worked for me, too!

jaz said...

Apparently you and I are the only ones who don't share gardening attitudes with Mac and Oyster! At least as far as this particular garden goes.

LIT said...

I think you and I are the only ones who even check this blog. Maybe we should just give all this blog stuff up. We can talk. Guess it's just too boring.

jaz said...

But this is a great way for me to see the photos. You've taken some great ones.

Goo said...

It's not that it's too boring it's that too much time passes between entries and you haven't enabled the function by which we can simply subscribe and get an alert that you've posted.

Personally, I enjoy reading the byplay in the comments section when I have time.

LIT said...

Well, excuse me, Goo. I check your blog daily which means I've looked at the same "stuff" for 90+ days.

Also, I have tried repeatedly to add an avatar, and though I'm following the directions the thing doesn't work. That's pretty simple; now if I tried to add an alarm system to your computer how much frustration would I run into there? I ask you.

Glad you finally checked in. I've missed you.

Goo said...

See, you could subscribe to my blog and quit checking it every day. It will automatically send you and e-mail when I post. However, I don't know that I'll be posting much given that the community as a whole has disapeared.

LIT said...

Not only that, they don't answer phone calls either.

jaz said...

I am part of the community and I have not disappeared. Not that I am not trying to make a pound or two (or twenty) disappear...