Thursday, November 12, 2009

GOOD FRIENDS




I love being with friends. My Bible study group met tonight.





If one has a need a friend understands.





A friend is patient.





A friend lets you have your turn.

That pretty much describes my Bible study group. Friends who take turns and can say whatever he or she wishes . . . . Tonight one person told about coming home from college and as they sat around the dinner table told her family about her first course in African-American studies which she found very exciting. She said it became apparent that they were not thrilled with her story, and it was met with stony silence. That was when she became aware of how racist her family was, and it shocked her.

Then another member of the group said that reminded her of a family that was gathered for Thanksgiving dinner, and a huge group of people was gathered. The son who had been away at college insisted that he offer the blessing, so they agreed. This is what he said:

God is good.
God is great.
God is not white,
Nor male,
Nor straight.

Well, we had to get up off the floor after that; we had laughed so hard. Three people were immediately writing that down. (I was not one of them. Brag, brag: I could remember it until now.) But I just wanted to say how grateful I am for friends and the comfort zone they provide.

2 comments:

jaz said...

Amen!

Would you like to offer grace before our Thanksgiving meal? Oyster would love to learn that one.3

LIT said...

Not if I have to explain it.