Tuesday, January 12, 2010

NO GOOD DEED GOES . . .

UNPUNISHED! Or so says my friend, MaryKat.

We haven't had any rain for a week or so. Therefore, on Sunday afternoon when I finally registered that there was water along the curb, street side, across the side street of my house I called the appropriate city functionaries to notify them of this. This was apparently news to them, but the woman who answered the phone finally got all the info down. I had done my good deed for the betterment of mankind.

On Monday evening just after the sun went down a truck with one city employee showed up to investigate. I knew of this because my loyal watchdog, Mack, began barking and wouldn't stop until I checked it out. The workman was out there maybe a half hour. That was it for Monday.

During our days of really intense cold when the night temps were in the teens and the daytime highs below freezing I had saved a couple of pitchers of water in case something happened to the water pipes. However, they weren't necessary. So I began to use that water to refill pet water bowls and for plants and had only about a cupful left.

This evening, Tuesday, as I began to cook supper I flipped up the water handle to wash the lettuce and discovered there was no water. Next I went to the front door, opened it, and went out. The fire hydrant was opened and water was gushing out in the easement area in front of my house. Two huge trucks were out there with orange cones and flashing lights. The sun had already sunk over the horizon. (I also noticed a bill in the yard which the post person had dropped. This was from the dentist. I was only there yesterday for Pete's sake.) Any way, I was without water for about two hours.

The men were still working at about nine o'clock, an hour after water was restored. By then the temp was well on its way to the predicted 26 degrees for tonight. On the news it was said that there are still about sixty water main breaks in the city, and I know those guys are working hard and doing their best for us. So! Let's hear it for our civil servants and do something nice for them. I certainly appreciate their work.

8 comments:

Tazzonater said...

You go LIT!! At least you helped even though it didn't bounce back at you.

jaz said...

I read an article that indicated the local public works employees have already logged over 1200 hours of overtime trying to repair the broken water pipes in the city. Wonder where the budget is going to find the funds for this--or if they are going to force the employees to accept comp time instead of money.

I had heard of 17 breaks last Tuesday, and realized there were more. I didn't know it had reached 60. It's a wonder they have been able to keep water available for most of the city all of the time!

jaz said...

I read an article that indicated the local public works employees have already logged over 1200 hours of overtime trying to repair the broken water pipes in the city. Wonder where the budget is going to find the funds for this--or if they are going to force the employees to accept comp time instead of money.

I had heard of 17 breaks last Tuesday, and realized there were more. I didn't know it had reached 60. It's a wonder they have been able to keep water available for most of the city all of the time!

LIT said...

O.K., Jaz,

Time to return your stuttering comment from a few months ago.

Taz, thanks for your support. I appreciate it.

jaz said...

I only hit the enter key once. I don't know why it is repeated, unless the computer program thinks my words are so wise they bear repeating.

Rake said...

I don't have a comment about the story, though it sounds very frustrating, and...the opposite of hopeful (?). BUT I did want to comment because I read your comment on Taz's blog about your family not reading your blog and posting comments, and I wanted to do that. LOVE. <3

I'll try to be better about keeping up with my posting, and reading other people's posts.

plug said...

I read your post with dread, thinking it was going to end with some reference to the problem having originated with the Illinois contingent's plumbing escapade. The DH would feel responsible for the whole city's water problems. Whew!

LIT said...

No, the DH didn't contribute to this at all; furthermore, I knew how well intentioned he was in Dec. However, I have learned the intricacies of this house (that I loathe) and haven't been able to face.

I have another plumbing story to tell, probably in my next post. Rest assured right now it has nothing to do with the DH nor the Illinois contingent. Read it and weep anyway!