Tuesday, February 16, 2010

IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT

Last Thursday, Feb. 11, was overcast, cold, and we had snow throughout most of the day. It had only begun to accumulate around noon, and white patches began to form. The school district announced at noon that school would be closed the next day as we anticipated much more snow and sub-freezing temps that night. The below freezing temps are not a big deal, but we usually don't have any kind of precipitation to go along with it. I've lived here 7 1/2 yrs., and this is my first time to experience snow on the ground. The strange thing was that around 2:30 p.m. the snow stopped and didn't resume for about two hours. By that time all the snow on the ground had melted. So we wondered if the schools and many enterprises had been a little premature in calling off everything for the next day. However, between 4:30 and 5:00 the snow began again. And it continued and continued.

This was a great learning experience for me. I learned that there is a measurement for snowfall and another for accumulation. We had 5.25 inches of snowfall and 2 inches of accumulation in all. Not record breakers, but enough to be pretty. . . and to do some damage. Just like the kids all over town I was excited about seeing snow on the ground, and here are a couple of pictures I took about 11 o'clock Thurs. night.









Don't you love the big oddly shaped snowflakes? Those are amazing to me. Anyway I went to bed anticipating the wonderful views I would have in the morning and set the clock to wake me at 6:30 a.m. I awoke at 6:35 but realized it was very quiet and that the electric clock face was black.






Yep! The power was out. I don't know how long it had been off, but my nose was cold. I quickly dressed, called the electric company to report the outage---their lines were filled with calls, and went out to take a few pictures. Here's that back view that you saw before.





Five hours later with no heat, a peanut butter sandwich, and Mack, the dog, on my lap for an hour and a half to get him warm, wimpy person that I am, I called Jaz and begged to bring the dogs and myself over to her house. She graciously said we could come. On the way there we saw many dingy small snow people built by delighted children and equally delighted adults. We don't get snow very often, you know.

To conclude all this I'll just say that when I drove home a little after three I found the power was back on. It probably came on shortly after we had left according to the clocks. We were very grateful to Jaz, but I'm embarrassed I didn't hold out a little longer. You just never know.

And here's a shot of the front of the house with its pretty snow which was gone in a few hours; but it's a fine memory.


20 comments:

EsLocura said...

Having lived in NYC and Boston for many years, I wasn't too fond of snow till I moved to an island now I sort of miss it. those are great snowflake shots.

Goo said...

I like the first pic best. :)

Tazzonater said...

How much snow did you get? By the 12th we had a full 12inches!

LIT said...

Thanks, Es. Those are my first successful night shots. Don't know how I lucked out.

Goo, I liked that one best too.

Taz, 5 1/4 inches of snow fell, but only 2 inches stayed on the ground. Yes, you got a lot more snow than we did. But, I think we had just enough.

Tazzonater said...

Yeah because now we have a BIG mess of puddles. Hey have you checked out Rake and easles new blog?

LIT said...

Yes, Taz, I did, but there was no bogue-ing going on yet.

plug said...

Funny, I initially read part of the post as "enough to be pretty and to do some damage, just like the kids all over town."

I love the first picture - that should be your next "Peace on Earth" card or something. I love how trees look when they're covered with ice. We used to miles and miles of it in Nova Scotia - just gorgeous.

Goo said...

We've had more than 70 inches of snow here. That's right. Seventy inches of snow. Now, at any plowed intersection there are six and seven foot banks of dirty, disgusting city snow. Ugh.

jaz said...

Goo, I think my favorite thing to watch regarding snow is the unbelievably long line of dump trucks that haul snow from the streets of Chicago and dump it in Lake Michigan. Doesn't DC have a big old river just waiting to take in all the goop that gets mixed int the snow and shoveled up by the plows?

Tazzonater said...

Goo were you snowed in? Are you still if you are? Do you still have alot of snow everywhere? So many questions! :)

Tazzonater said...

LIT if you zoom in on the second pic there is this one that is shaped like a heart.

Rake said...

Snow is pretty for like a DAY and that's it! I want it to be spriiiiing!!!

I liked the first one too, I thought it was a painting or drawing at first.

I haven't bogued yet because at first it was the weekend, so I didn't see a lot of people, I just saw Captain AJ. And then I forgot to bring my camera to school. I will tomorrow though, hopefully have the first Bogue-fest for you guys. :) LOVE. <3

Rake said...

Weather is so crazy, but I swear it gets crazier every year. I think it's getting dementia or Alzheimer's or something, because it keeps forgetting when and where to do make the seasons happen. Ugh. The weather is gettin' old.

LIT said...

You know what, Taz, after you mentioned it I could see the heart even without enlarging the picture. Isn't that phenomenal? Thanks for pointing that out.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tazzonater said...

Welcome!:)

Tazzonater said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tazzonater said...

Have you goten the big watery mess that use to be snow yet?

LIT said...

Been there, done that, dried up, and gotten rain since then which put us right back to the watery mess. Right there, right now. Yuk! BUT---it's putting drought farther behind us, and I'm very happy about that.

Tazzonater said...

yeah I got a big watery mess again.