Saturday, July 17, 2010

OUR LUCKY #---30%

Our area is in a draught, and we are about 12" below the average rainfall, so we really look forward to "bad weather."
For years I've said when the weather channel predicts anywhere from 70% to 90% chance of rain for us, or my neighborhood in particular, I might as well drag the hose out and go ahead and water. Call me pessimistic! Or at least, a disbeliever!

However, when I got up this morning the sky was overcast, and I became somewhat hopeful. Turned on the weather channel just in time for the local forecast, and in spite of the clouds the word was "a slight chance of thunder storms." YES! I did the things I needed to do in the greenhouse so I wouldn't get wet going out to do them later. Sure enough---a little after noon it turned really dark, and thunder came rolling toward us. Time to gather Mack in!



Mind you, I didn't start taking pictures until about 45 minutes later. The lightening and thunder were still present but less frequent and farther away, and the rain had lightened up considerably but was still steady. As you can see the street was still fairly full of water.

Then I became interested in the styles of driving people display when streets are not only wet but partially flooded. There are those who whiz on as if these were optimum conditions. Keep in mind the posted speed limit along this stretch is 15 mph because there is a significant curve just beyond the area seen from my kitchen window.








Then there were those who drove sedately, straddling the island down the middle when nothing was coming to force them over to their side of the street.








So much for my societal observations. The rain continued for almost three hours, and during that time I made a quick run to the grocery store for peanut butter and a green vegetable. Now it's 5:45 p.m., and I just checked the weather channel again. The temperature is only 79, about 15 degrees cooler than this time of day for the past couple of weeks. And, oh yes, 40% chance of rain tonight. Hmmm! Maybe . . . .

DISCLAIMER; When I previewed this post the text and positions of the pictures was not the way I arranged them. If it's all screwed up, I apologize. But I trust you to sort it all out and understand what goes where. Take care, ya'll.

6 comments:

jaz said...

Lulu hates the thunder, lightning, and rain, but loves to wallow in the mud it leaves behind. For my part I am thankful for the hose next to the back door and my ability to clean her off before she enters the house. I'm also thankful for the little girl who catches the pooches just inside the door and dries them before they venture onto the wood floors!

Hooray for rain!!

LIT said...

There's always a trade-off isn't there?

Must have been another boring day at work if you are checking blogs. That's a trade-off too, I guess.

Hope you are all well. I'll check in the morning that our reservations for Aug. 10, at 8:00 p.m. are secure. Will let you know.

plug said...

We have had TONS of rain and we are SICK of it. I guess the weather is making lots of people miserable for different reasons. I'm glad you got some needed moisture.

Tazzonater said...

It just rained over here but now it's over.

LIT said...

I'm so happy you are all back safely, and I hear you had a good time. You must tell us about all your adventures on your blog. You've probably got several blogs from this wonderful vacation. Can't wait!

Tazzonater said...

I'm working on it but right now I have a very important soccer tournament to worry about.