Tuesday, October 19, 2010

RIGHT EYE UPDATE


Today was the day I thought we would be scheduling surgery on the left eye to remove that cataract; it was also the day we anticipated rain in our area. Neither goal accomplished. I can't answer for the weather patterns and their flow; we just didn't get any rain, and the drought continues.

As for the eye progress: my doctor told me on the day she completed surgery that the epithelial was loose. Today, one week post-op my vision is still very blurry in that eye. Others have told me that their vision was restored, better than it ever had been following this surgery, so I was very discouraged when I went in for the check-up today. My doctor dilated my eye again and did two tests after which she assured me that the underlying structures were in good shape, but the epithelial coating of the cornea was loose, and she sent me home with an armload of eyewashes to use for two more weeks. That's when I go in for another check. (Guess what: there are limits to how much individualism I wish to express. This ain't one of 'em.) I asked if the second eye would take as long to heal as this one, and she said not necessarily, but maybe.

However, this is the eye with glaucoma, the one with little vascular "explosions" (sorry, I can't remember the term) on the retina, and the eye which had one tiny bit of plaque in one of it's retinal pictures. All of these have been contained through very careful following of directions. My doctor noted today, "You've never had a problem with the cornea before." How much is left to go wrong(?) I wondered. Anyway, we are mustering through.

My hope is that the left eye when it comes due won't have as many problems since it has been relatively free of the other problems. We'll see---hopefully-literally!

So that's where I am, and here is a picture to bleed your tears, sympathy, and condolences:



I only have to wear this shield at night and usually I don't have this much tape on it. It started to come loose during the night, and I added tape, so save a few tears, o.k.? The good news is that I got to wash my hair tonight, and I am feeling so good. YEA!!!

8 comments:

Dagromm said...

Are you feeling ok, though? I hope so.

LIT said...

Yeah, I'm feeling o.k. Fri. & Sat. last week were really rough, but I'm doing well now. Actually tough enough to go through this again to get the other eye seeing well. However, I've got to see through the operated eye first. You know?

I have to admit that throughout this process I learned that I could sleep more than I thought and never lose my appetite. Go figure!

jaz said...

Got to keep up your strength, right? And a well-rested and well-fed body recovers better, anyway.

Goo said...

I hope you'll understand when I say I'm not posting this photo in my office.
I'm glad you're keeping up your good spirits, but I'm sorry the healing is happening faster. You get a big hug from me!

Tazzonater said...

Ain't isn't a word. Anyways hope your eye get's better soon.

LIT said...

Taz, I know "ain't" isn't a word. I was using it for emphasis. However, it was a poor choice on my part, and I appreciate your editorial comment. Serves me right after all my comments to you.

Love you.

P.S. Take that ' out of gets.

Rake said...

I hope you're doing well. The picture did indeed spark a lot of sympathy. I love you.

LIT said...

Thanks, Rake. That is a pitiful picture, isn't it? However, I don't think anyone will recognize me from that photo. My sight is coming back now, and I hope to have the other eye done in a couple of weeks; won't know until I go back to the doctor next week. Keep your fingers crossed.

Love you.