Monday, November 1, 2010

MIRACLES

Many years ago Goo declared "The Miracle of the Wood," credited to me. Here's what happened. The whole family was gathering for Christmas dinner, and my small dining table would not accommodate everybody. So I purchased a sheet of plywood (4 ft. x 8 ft.) and had it cut in half. We placed it on the small table, and voilA everybody could be seated. She made a great tablecloth. It worked out just fine.

A couple of years went by before we were all gathered again, and the plywood which had been in storage had warped somewhat. Being the miserly person that I am I was not about to buy another sheet of plywood. So . . . a few weeks before the gathering I put a plastic sheet on my nice but small table, placed the old plywood on it, sprinkled it liberally with water and placed cinder blocks (I love them) on top for weight. By the time we were ready to set the table everything had leveled out, and we were good to dine again. That was "The Miracle of the Wood."

There was another miracle Goo credited me with, but I can't remember what it was. I hope she can and will refresh my memory. I just take miracles for granted I guess.

But here's the latest. About a month ago I noted a wasps' nest in the corner of my carport. It was a little scary as I really didn't want to be stung by a wasp or wasps. A couple of days later I discovered that the wasps not only had the corner nest, but had a colony on the outside two sides of the corner with a multitude of wasps. There might have been 75 - 100 wasps in all. That was very scary. You can check with Jaz and Oyster who both witnessed this conglomeration.

I have a can of EcoSmart wasp and hornet killer spray which has a really long spray length. I had to use it on the front porch a couple of months ago, but that was fairly simple as I could spray and immediately duck back inside the house. In the carport I would have to spray and move 20-30 ft. to get back inside. Wasps do not take kindly to this kind of attack and keep flying around angrily for a day or two (literally) if they aren't among the casualties. Factor into this procedure my recent eye surgery, and I wasn't eager to attack and run for cover.

However, when I took Mack out for a few minutes this evening before the storm came I looked up at the wasp havens. They come home to roost at night. Guess what!!! They were all gone!!! I think this may qualify as "The Miracle of the Wasps."

Now if Goo can come up with the missing second miracle maybe I'm on my way to canonization. Does one absolutely have to be a Catholic to become an official saint?


7 comments:

Goo said...

Well, there was that time we laid hands upon the non-functioning globe light of the ceiling fan and miraculously restored its functionality. That's the first thing that came to mind.

Goo said...

So, are we now referring to this as the Exodus of the Wasps?

jaz said...

I think my maternal family might have a different meaning associated with the term, "Exodus of the WASPs."

LIT said...

Jaz, you sometimes are such a "smart ass."

That's o.k. I still love you.

jaz said...

When my brother was in kindergarten we lived on a farm. The dogs eschewed their doghouse in favor of the barn, so the barncats slept there and my dad jokingly referred to it as the cathouse. Some paper wasps moved in and Daddy disposed of them. My brother went to school and told everyone, "My dad killed a wasp in the cathouse last night."

LIT said...

Jaz, your family is very colorful.

Tazzonater said...

Well my miracle story is...not having one I guess. I can't think of one sorry. =(