Tuesday, November 23, 2010

NOT KEEPING YOU IN SUSPENSE . . .

The surgery went well, but I thought that it was totally different from last time. The clarity of light and colors during surgery was different; and I felt things I didn't feel the first time. However, when I asked my doctor about these differences today she said the procedure was the same and that about 40% of their patients report the same difference in perceptions, so apparently many of us have eyes that are different. Who knew? We thought we had a matched pair---like shoes or socks. But some of us don't.


One small drawback: a tiny blood vessel in my eye got in the way during surgery. Consequently, I have a large circle of blood around my eye which makes me look as if I have been in a car wreck or fist fight. It will dissolve eventually, but I just look at people and tell them, "Believe it or not, I won." It doesn't hurt, just looks really pitiful. There are still a few weeks of medicinal follow-up with drops, drops, drops---some as many as four times per day.


HOWEVER, last night and today I was/am watching TV with no glasses and was able to drive to my doctor's office without them as well, just the big shades. Still need the glasses for reading. Actually, this evening I discovered that if I do the arm extension I can read without glasses as well. So, I'm really excited. I will probably need to get "readers" though. I could read the 20/20 line with the more recent operative eye today and could read 2 of 5 letters on the 20/25 line with the previously operated eye---the one which regressed and became very blurred due to the loose epithelium. My doctor said I do not have a loose epithelium on this second eye. YEA!


So, that's the news for now, and let's all hope that everything continues on course this time. No pictures this time; I don't think you want a picture of me just now.

Have a terrific Thanksgiving; be thankful; I know what I'll be thankful for. (I know; ended that with a preposition; bad me.)


4 comments:

Goo said...

Yea!!!! So glad it went better this time. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. We'll talk later in the week. I love you.

Tazzonater said...

YEA!!!!!!!!! WOOPTY DOO!!!!!
Happy Thanksgiving!! Can't wait to see you!!

jaz said...

Animal Watch Report:

Mac still loves to play with Lulu, but follows Bea around for comfort (and possibly warmth). He wants to mount Lulu, which seems to annoy her, but she is too polite to do anything other than move away and turn around. He's getting a lot of exercise.

Is it Fanny or Phanny? Or an alternate spelling? Whichever it may be, she has not yet gotten lonely enough to trust me. That quick streak-o-cat from under the bed to out in the hall and beyond is the only sighting to date. However, food, water, and litter box clues all lead me to believe she is healthy.

Your grandaughter is being zombified by the wii. Her favorite part is creating characters. To keep her from totally drying up or petrifying she will attend four days of Camp Forbing and one overnight at Acro Sports during the coming week.

Hope your trip continues to be fun!

jaz said...

Animal Watch Report:

Mac has figured out he is a boy and Lulu and Bea are girls. He's been trying to figure out what to do with this information--and they are politely, but firmly, attempting to discourage his investigative efforts.

He also seemed very confused by his Christmas stocking gift of a beef rib bone with dried meat on it. However, he was no more confused than the girls. Santa only found one rib bone, so the girls received chunks of femur filled with bacon-flavored something. Lulu knows it is special and it is hers and she should protect it from theft, but she isn't sure what to do with it. Bea buried hers on the love seat. She carefully covered it with the throw, and when Olivia helped her find it she seemed a bit exasperated as she covered it again.

There has been a second feline sighting. A streak was racing toward the door when I entered today. However, she apparently realized I was not the person she wanted to see, as she stopped abruptly and swiftly changed direction to dart away. As soon as the food bowl was filled she chowed down. I get the impression she really likes Purina One, which is now made with chicken as the number one ingredient, if the packaging is to be believed.

Oyster is currently playing wii with the neighbor's grandchild. They just finished a festive supper of waffles, watermelon, scrambled eggs, and juice. I thought I did okay with last-minute planning of a meal for a child who is allergic to dairy. She seemed to think so, too.