Wednesday, May 13, 2009

LADIES LUNCH

A few days ago a friend called and asked if I would be available to go to lunch this week. She wanted to take out a mutual friend who now lives in an assisted living apartment who often feels the lunches there are cold and not very appetizing. I said yes, I'd love to go. She made all the arrangements for four of us to have lunch at a wonderful place where I had not previously eaten. She kept emphasizing that it was a nice place for ladies to have lunch.

Since we were going to a "nice place for ladies to have lunch" I made a special effort to look lady like and wore my red pant suit, red shoes with low heels (but heels, not flats), carrying my black purse. You probably wouldn't have known me.

The guest of honor ordered a Cuban sandwich (I still don't know what that is, but it was huge), two people had the chicken salad with toasted walnuts and grapes, and I ordered the fried oyster salad. Alas, they were out of oysters, so I opted for an avocado sandwich. Everyone declared their choices excellent, and I couldn't disagree. Oh, I forgot to mention that the hostess also practically mandated we drink the Mango Tea served there. It was outstanding. Then our hostess declared we had to order dessert; so the guest of honor and I shared a huge serving of carrot cake, and the other two shared an equal serving of strawberry cake. (Please, don't count the calories!) Half the Cuban sandwich went home with the guest of honor. So much for the menu.

Our friend who was honored has suffered a couple of mild strokes, and her memory is like a checkerboard. She will tell you right up front that she knows you but can't necessarily call your name. She's always been a straight talker, and I guess that will maintain. I hope so. But it became clear that she remembered us but doesn't recall the group that brought us all together, i.e. where we all met. And she remembers that the curriculum we studied together was quite good, but she doesn't remember being part of that group. So, it's a bittersweet experience. However, she handles it with grace, and I hope I shall be able to do as well should I eventually be in similar circumstances. I also hope that I will have friends who show such care and concern to take me out for a nice ladies lunch.

4 comments:

heather said...

cuban sandwiches are kinda like a grilled ham and cheese. just add roast pork, pickles and mustard. definitely worth a try.
in an odd sort of way it's kind of comforting to know that even as our memories swiss cheese on us, the basic building blocks of our personalities stay with us a bit longer. kudos to you and your friends for being able to enjoy a lunch together.

Goo said...

I hope you gave Belle my best. If not, don't worry. We sure won't. Glad you had fun. Where did you get cuban sandwiches AND mango tea?

LIT said...

Hey, Heather, been missing you, but I've read your new blog.

Goo, I asked her if she remembered you, and she said, "Oh, yeah! Where is she now?" So, I told her, and she kept saying, "Wow!" "Wow!" "How did she get there?" So, I related all that, and that the latest major funeral was Jack Kemp's. Anyway, she was completely taken aback by your current workplace. There is definitely a possibility that we could have that whole conversation again, and she could enjoy the wonder all over again. But that's o.k.

Oh, we ate at Biscotti's (you know, part of Lewis Gifts), but it is much enlarged and a separate space in their new locale. It probably seats about 50-60 people as opposed to the old counter and couple of tables which served maybe 12. And they have a much more extensive menu.

For those unfamiliar with our city Lewis Gifts is the Neiman-Marcus of gift shops in our area. But the little restaurant is fine price wise, and I think I'll go back there. It doesn't have blaring music or TV's mounted on the walls either. You can enjoy the food and your friends.

jaz said...

It sounds like a lovely lunch. And a lovely pant suit!