Sunday, May 17, 2009

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

I love to go to the races---horse races. I don't do it very often, but it is tremendously exciting, and I enjoy reading all the data about the various horses, trainers, jockeys, and trying to decide where to place my bet. O.K. It's usually $2, but it's the spirit of the thing.

Like most of you I was caught up in the Cinderella story of Mine That Bird when he won the Kentucky Derby after being driven from New Mexico to Kentucky with a stop over in Texas for exercise. The unknown who comes out of nowhere and wins at 50-1 odds. So, I was rooting for him to win again in the Preakness, but I didn't have a bet on him. I only bet when I'm at the track to see it for real.

Then I realized today as I read the results of the Preakness that I would really have been challenged to pick a winner for there was one filly entered, and her name was Rachel Alexandra. I couldn't have resisted, and there would have been two bets placed. You've got to love a horse with a name like that. Right? And besides, she was taking on all the guys, so there's a feminist angle to this as well.

She took top honors, and Mine That Bird came in second. Not a bad showing for him at all. Now my question is, what do I do when the Belmont comes up in June? If they're both entered who gets my imaginary $2.00?

Sorry, I couldn't steal her picture from the internet, but you can go to this site
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/05/16/sports/0517-PREAKNESS_index.html
and see a whole slide show. BTW her number is 13, and her jockey is in yellow. Take a look.

4 comments:

Goo said...

Although I read about Rachel Alexandra last week, I hadn't really invested much attention in the story. But so many people have commented to me about the Preakness (catching me off-guard each time) that I'm really going to have to pay better attention. Still and all, how could you consider betting against her?

jaz said...

I don't see why you couldn't imagine going to one window and placing a $2 bet on one horse, then going to another window and placing $2 on the other. Wouldn't want the imaginary folk working the windows to know you were betting for two different horses to win and then thinking you are fickle!

Goo said...

Why go to two separate windows? As long as you're betting against yourself, they may think you're an idiot but they don't hesitate to take your money.

jaz said...

Apparently you are not afraid of what imaginary people may think about you, Goo.