Tuesday, May 19, 2009

YOU ASKED FOR IT!

A few months ago I related and depicted the trials and tribulations of redoing my kitchen floor. At that time one of my daughters, Plug, asked if I had before and after shots of my “bordello bathroom.” This piqued Heather’s curiosity (she is unrelated, but a blogger buddy), and she wanted to see my “bordello bathroom.” Goo, my other daughter, chimed in that she supported my choices for decorating. So, this became a challenge to try to recreate for you how the bathroom evolved.

I don’t have before shots of the bathroom, but I do have a picture of one scrap of the wallpaper which was there.




Picture it: This wallpaper combined with this shower curtain



(Chill had this in his bathroom (the non-functioning one) until he and Jaz moved in Jan. which was when I took the picture.)

combined with this tile on the walls





and this tile on the floor.



The cabinet under the lavatory was a pine wood finish with really worn brass hardware. The white formica top is still there.

My bathroom is very small, and the whole room felt very claustrophobic.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of the original light fixture, but it was a two branched antiqued bronze thing with fluted glass bells over the bulbs. (Couldn’t sell it in 5 yard sales and finally gave it to Good Will.)

If I’d had the money to gut the bathroom and start over, I might have. But I didn’t, and I didn’t have another bathroom to use in the meantime. So . . . I decided to go with what I had and “play it as it lays.” Here is the result.



The wallpaper pattern is Fishnet. (Remember you can see enlarged pictures by clicking on them.)




The border pattern is called Bootylicious, but I think of it as Jacqueline, Honore, Helene, Genevieve, and Marilyn.
















Many thanks again to Goo who made the window curtain and helped me with the wallpapering while in pain. I still love my bathroom. Now, I ask you. Is this a “bordello bathroom” or a whimsical bathroom with a great sense of humor and a tiny touch of class?

7 comments:

heather said...

wow! lit has a wild side! lol, this is great. ~not~ something i would have expected from you.

but then again, i can totally see my mom cross stitching the ladies and hanging it in her bathroom. using fishnet as the mat.

but not the whole bathroom. nope, that would be a girlfriend of mine. (that is, if her husband wouldn't be absolutely mortified. it ~is~ base housing after all.)

fantastic and oh so much better than what it was. you did an altogether to damn good of a job describing the before. that was over the top pink.

Goo said...

I made my co-workers stop beign productive in order to admire the beauty of your bathroom. They are astounded and impressed by your bold decorating choices. They only wish they had half your style.

LIT said...

See, Heather, you can't tell a book by its wrinkled old cover. No, I don't recommend this for base housing---too much work for what may turn out to be short term occupation. But thanks for the compliment. I think it's pretty fantastic too.

Goo, did your co-workers think this was stunning, or were they just stunned? Yeah, I guess half my style would be enough for most people. It reminds me of someone who used my bathroom, came out, and said, "I love your bathroom, but I'd never have the nerve to do it." I really think that's a little sad---not to have the nerve to do your own house the way you really want it. Most bathrooms don't make me smile, but mine does.

plug said...

I rarely smile in the bathroom anymore regardless of the decor unless there's especially good reading material. Care to say where the ladies' monikers came from? Are those bible names?

LIT said...

Of course those are not Bible names; they're French. Marilyn, the blond, of course, is in honor of Miss Monroe. I just made them up because I like the way they sound. Also the border makes me think of the old Ella Fitzgerald terrific recording of "10 Cents a Dance." Apparently some people have other thoughts about these ladies.

Thanks for checking in,Plug. Glad you saw what you instigated.

jaz said...

I love your bathroom. The only time I had a deliberately decorated bathroom was in Illinois where I had laid white tile with cobalt corners, painted yellow, and hung a muted white, blue, and yellow striped shower curtain. The vanity, towel rods, etc were oak and the fixtures were all white. My sister immediately sent Oyster rubber ducky towels, garbage can, toilet brush holder, soap containers, lotion container, toothbrush container...

So much for my grown-up sedate bath. It became little girl in just one week.

LIT said...

Jaz,
Your sister will have to go next door to use the bathroom should she come to my house. No offense; just self preservation.

BTW Oyster has never commented on my bathroom; guess she has been focused on her purpose in being there. Just as it should be.