Sunday, June 21, 2009

LIFE IS INTERESTING, ISN'T IT?

Friday I had a call from my friend, Travis, a retired airline pilot. He was wondering if I could drive him to the airport to start his journey to Stockholm to join Janie, his significant other. Since I owe him two or three favors I told him yes. When I picked him up a half hour later he related that he'd been to the airport the night before (driven by a neighbor) but had missed the flight. Fortunately, the neighbor had waited to make sure Travis was on his way, but, obviously, that had not worked out. He had called me at one in the afternoon.

Travis outlined his expected itinerary, but the catch is he has to fly standby. It's apparently part of his retirement package---free, but with hitches. The plan was he would be flying from here to Dallas; from there to Heathrow, and from there to Stockholm.

Friday night I had just stripped out of my clothes and about to put on the nightie when the phone rang. It was eleven p.m. Travis asked if I was in for the night through much static. When I finally figured out he needed assistance I learned he had been to Dallas and was back here. Donning a jumper Plug made a hundred years ago and gave to me when she outgrew it but serves as something I wear in the yard when I have to wear something other than night gown, I returned to the airport to give Travis a ride back home. He was really depressed about the whole adventure which I understood. Lest it sound like I was a big martyr in this scheme, not true. Though I don't live close to the airport, thanks to the freeway, I was back home at 11:45. Moved pretty well for an old lady, don't you think? Travis said he would be back to the computer to try to figure another route.

All through Saturday I kept wondering how he was rerouting and where he might be and hoping everything was working out. Finally, Saturday evening I wrote an email:

From: LIT
Sent: Jun 20, 2009 8:15 p.m.
To: Janie
Subject: PLEASE tell me

when Travis gets to Stockholm. Was the third time the charm?

Also, Janie, let me know if you, or you and Travis, need a ride from
the airport on the 30th. And let me know your air line & flight
number so I can check online to see when you'll arrive. My two
grandchildren from Tx will be here, but they would be delighted to meet
you, and we can handle the drive---day or night. It would be an
adventure.

LIT

Today I was delighted to receive an answer. Here it is:

From: Janie
Subject: Re: PLEASE tell me
Date: June 21, 2009 4:10:36 PM CDT
To: LIT
Reply-To: Janie

Hi LIT,
I am here! Went to LGA and taxied to JFK to catch an 11:30pm departure, but it all worked. I had so little confidence I would actually leave, I drove myself so will incur the tremendous parking fee, but all seems minor compared to the time I lost with Janie here. Thanks so much for the rides and offer of more, but we will have to just drop by to meet the kids.
See you in early July,
Travis

I can't believe he finally made it. J

So, you're wondering why Janie was in Stockholm ahead of Travis. Well, here's the skinny. She was presenting her data to a group of scientists there, and her ticket was paid for by the scientists. She's not really expecting a Nobel prize from this, but they were excited about seeing Stockholm and environs together. I'm excited about having such interesting friends. They also play musical instruments at Renaissance fairs, and their appearance reflects that era. Travis is also as addicted to estate sales as I am, and she is a fantastic cook. Very interesting people.

None of this would have been available to me if I'd stayed in the little town where I retired. There were those who couldn't understand why I'd want to move at that point in my life, especially to a place where I knew no one but one son and one daughter. But I think life is interesting--- especially when you go out and look for it.

7 comments:

jaz said...

Here, here! Life is much more interesting when you move out of the comfortable cocoon and into a new environment. I'm glad we moved to the same new spot, Lit.

LIT said...

Me, too, Jaz.

Goo said...

I'm glad to read you're finding new adventures in the Port City.

How're the cukes?

jaz said...

The cucumber soup was awesome! And since no one else in my household will touch cukes, I get to eat it all by myself!! But if you were here, Goo, I would share.

Goo said...

Mmmmmmm.....cucumbers.....

LIT said...

I just finished the last of the Cream of Cuke soup tonight. Served really cold it is a wonderful pick-me-up on these 100+ degree days.

jaz said...

Add a tomato and some cottage cheese and you have the perfect lunch! Well, I did, anyway.