Thursday, June 18, 2009

TAKE N. KOREA SERIOUSLY

Seldom do I enter political statements, but sometimes I feel prodded to do so. This time the prod is a vegetable.

As you know I belong to the local orchid society, and we recently visited the greenhouses of one of our members who happens to come from S. Korea. She is married to an American who was in the service there, and I assume is now a citizen since she works at the local Air Force base. They have a son who graduated from high school this year. In addition to the impeccable greenhouses she also had a vegetable garden in the back yard with four cucumber plants growing along the fence. She said they were Korean cucumbers; she had brought the seeds here.

My cucumber plant label said to harvest when the cuke was 3-4 inches long. Well, I was a little over eager, and the one I cut was 2 1/2 inches long. I stand corrected. However, I think you will agree that another half inch would not have made it look anymore impressive.

American cucumber on the left; Korean cucumber on the right. (The Korean cucumber has a very tender skin. No peeling necessary.)



Now if the Koreans are growing cucumbers like this without genetic engineering, etc., don't you think it's time to consider their exploration/building of nuclear weapons very seriously?

No comments: