Monday, January 10, 2011

NOR'EASTER & METRO CRAZIES & GREAT BEAUTY








A nor'easter (also northeaster; see below) is a type of macro-scale storm along the East Coast of the United States and Atlantic Canada, so named because the storm travels to the northeast from the south and the winds come from the northeast, especially in the coastal areas of the Northeastern United States and Atlantic Canada. More specifically, it describes a low pressure area whose center of rotation is just off the East Coast and whose leading winds in the left forward quadrant rotate onto land from the northeast. The precipitation pattern is similar to other extratropical storms. Nor'easters also can cause coastal flooding, coastal erosion,hurricane force winds, and heavy snow. (Thank you, Wikipedia.)

Our plan was to go sightseeing, either the LOC or Newseum for which I had purchased tickets. However, while sipping coffee on Goo's balcony I made a unilateral decision to stay in that day (Mon., 12/27). The wind was kicking up leaves from three stories below and blowing them way up above where I was standing. Later the TV weather told me we were in the midst of a nor'easter, and it made me temporarily sick to think what that would be like in a fishing boat off the coast. However, later in the day we were apparently overcome by cabin fever and decided to launch ourselves out to see a movie. We chose "True Grit", a remake which I didn't think I would enjoy. Oh, so wrong! It was great, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges should get an Oscar nomination for sure. Go see it, folks. Our trip to the movie which was in the neighborhood, so to speak, put us crossing streets where there was no wind block by buildings, and it was one step forward, and two steps sideways. But we made it, and were very glad of our efforts.

By the next day the wind had abated somewhat (40 mi./hr), and we decided to go to the Library of Congress. Goo had said she really wanted me to see this. We took the Metro, and at one station a man was (?)singing parts of Jingle Bells and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, pretty much on one note and very loudly. We couldn't decide whether he wanted money to keep singing or a payoff to stop. I would have voted for the latter.

At another change station a 50ish man came up to me and said, "You are a beautiful girl!" I said, "Thank you." He then followed with, "When I grow up I'm gonna' get me a girl friend just like you." My reply, "Good luck to you." He laughed and walked on. (Hey, I take compliments wherever I get them.)

As we entered the Library of Congress a guard was commenting that the day before there had been maybe 12 people there; that day there were lines waiting to get in. The LOC is free and has a free coat check and nice restrooms. (Do I have a thing about restrooms? Hmmmm.) Well, I can't recount the whole visit: we took one of the tours with a docent and then wandered on our own and took pictures. All I can say is that once you've seen two or three Gothic Cathedrals, you've seen them all, but this building, LOC, is gorgeous, spectacular, wondrous, etc., etc., etc. Here are a few glimpses.

Minerva mosaic at the landing on the way to the second floor. Spear pointing down is supposed to connote peace---Good Luck on that.

Ceiling above the main floor.
Every corner, every inch, is beautiful.


The second floor is magnificent. Each window has a plaque above it with a quotable statement re books, learning, wisdom. I wanted to buy a book with all of those quotes in it, but the only one which included that was $85. Sometimes I really hate being poor---or at least not wealthy.
Here's just one of them.
Goo and I were enchanted by the putti. (Look it up.)
This is a place I really want to visit again and again. It's gorgeous, and there is so much I haven't explored. This is the Jefferson Building, one of the three that comprise the Library of Congress. It's wonderful, don't you think?



No comments: